Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Creating joy in moments of art































I've been creating art forever. I've been writing forever and have now decided to combine the two. I began fiber art in the mid '80s. I chose to do that rather than drinking heavily. I haven't stopped since, I mean the fiber art. The drinking heavily comes and goes, usually depending on the man situation at the time.


Somewhere around 2002/2003 the president/CEO of Working Mother Media came across a wall hanging I had made for a quilt shop in Boulder, CO. Not only did she buy it, but I've been working for them ever since making wall hangings as awards they give to women that they are honoring for their amazing achievements. The next one I have to do is for a Native American woman named Henrietta Mann. She is the president of a tribal college in Oklahoma. How cool is that? I watched a video of her and read everything I could find on her on the internet and then I let the images and words settle for a while before I get the inspiration to create what is needed to come through for her.

The delivery date is July 15th, so action will be stepped up here very shortly.

I decided to do this blog because so many people have been asking to see my work. The wall hangings I do have mostly been commissioned so I don't have them anymore, but I do have photographs.

I've taught fiber art classes for over twenty years, specializing in what's called thread painting. That's when I use the needle on the machine as my paintbrush and the thread as my paint. I move the fabric under the needle to create the designs I choose. Instead of moving the paintbrush, I move the canvas underneath the immobile brush. It's relaxing and meditative for me. I focus on the person I'm making it for and feel them. It's amazing how many times I hear from the recipient whom I've never met how much it is perfect for their living room, or just their favorite color, or the design just speaks to them. I connect with their energy while working and just do what feels right and that's what comes out. It's pure joy.

1 comment: