Monday, June 15, 2009

Sprinkling fairy dust



There is nothing like showing up in my studio for the day of magic that lies ahead. I normally do not have an agenda, a to-do list, or a facsimile thereof. I walk into the studio prepared to do whatever I'm inspired to do. This is the only way I know how to create with the magic in there.

I often get requests for doing commissioned work. One company that's been doing this for years is Working Mother Media in NYC. The pictures in this post are examples of the work that I've done for them.

This one was done for an Asian woman who was involved with a dance troupe involving dragons, if I recall correctly. I apologize for not remembering it exactly, but I've moved 3 times since this was commissioned and have made more pieces than I can count. So, my memory about these wall hangings and the information available about them is not within my reach at the moment.

I painted the dragon in the middle with acrylics, outlined it with thread sewn by machine, and then added oil paint sticks. After layering threads and yarns of all kinds around it, I put a piece of netting over it and sewed like a mad woman.


You know that saying, give me liberty or give me death? Mine goes something like this: give me fibers and beads or give me death. That's how strongly I feel about having those things in my life and being able to work with them on a regular basis. There is something so fulfilling, so uplifting when I do what I love, and I so desperately love art and words, among other things, but right now I'm focusing on my art.



Working Mother Media commissioned me to do a piece for a woman who had worked with a company with the word triangle in it. I was so enamored with the concept of triangles that I used many of them in this wall hanging. The triangles are iron fused onto the background fabric. I embellished them with beads and stitching. Just looking at it now reminds me of how I just got lost in the process of making this. When Working Mother Media commissions me to do artwork for them, I never know the women the pieces are for, but I sit with their bios and pics until something comes to me, and this is what showed up for this woman.



Here is another commissioned piece by Working Mother Media for a woman that they were honoring. I made flower petals and leaves from florescent-like fibers. They bond through heat and change colors after melting together. The background was made from a dress I cut apart and painted. Then the flower was assembled with its leaves, thread painted, and then accented with oil paint sticks.

There are more leaves and flower petals that connect the two pieces of the wall hanging together with strands of beading. Quotes from the honoree embellish the bottom part of the piece.

Love the beaded fringe. Sometimes there's just no saying no to beads.

No comments:

Post a Comment