Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Stabilizing Men

I love men. That's surprising considering I grew up with three brothers who gave me little reason to love the opposite sex. That's all I have to say. About that anyway.

However, I've met some amazing men in my life that have given me many opportunities to love them in many different ways. Here's my own rendition of two of them.

The men depicted in this piece of art are brothers that have got to be two of the nicest men on the planet, so I had to make something to give their mother for raising such people that bless this world. The one on the right, Kevin, and his wife, Amy, invited me to live in the apartment above their garage. They are two of the most amazing people God put on this earth. Amy is the epitome of unconditional love. I consider it such a privilege to not only know her, but to call myself her friend.


I took a piece of stabilizer and ran it through my printer, printing their picture onto the fabric. I laid it on top of batting and thread-painted the men's features, coloring their hair and moustaches with thread. I then layered that on top of another piece of batting that I painted and then put it on top of cotton fabric, appliqued the roses, and then quilted the curlicues onto the batting. After the wall hanging was assembled and quilted, I beaded the heck out of the leaves that were appliqued onto the piece.

I'd never tried this technique before with the stabilizer and was really happy with the way it turned out. I got a lovely thank you note from their mother telling me how much she loved it. So, I got to successfully play with a new technique and give a gift from the heart. I'd have to say that it was a fabulous time altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment